The mission of the Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) is to find solutions to the identified impacts on the waters of the State through an aggressive, scientifically and technologically based sewer avoidance program; by protecting the groundwater quality through wastewater treatment system upgrades, maintenance and monitoring programs.
Goals and Objectives
- The WPCA will develop and implement a wastewater management program in the WWMD to upgrade and construct wastewater treatment systems in accordance with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection requirements and regulations.
- The WPCA will continue to monitor and manage sewage disposal systems Town-wide and maintain the pumpout program database.
- The WPCA will continue to protect the Town’s interests through the approval of permanent maintenance agreements associated with individual and community sewage systems.
- The WPCA will provide public education with an emphasis on: Reduced use of fertilizers and pesticides, water conservation, approaches to controlling polluted runoff, and operation and maintenance guidelines for onsite sewage treatment systems.
- The WPCA will continue to support Town departments and commissions in creating integrated approaches to sub-surface sewage disposal and stormwater run-off, that conform to the Town’s Plan of Conservation and Development.